The Fairhaven Cultural Council is pleased to announce the Fairhaven Local Cultural Council Grant award winners for 2017!
In addition to demonstrating compliance with Massachusetts Cultural Council and local grant project guidelines, winning projects demonstrated the most benefit to our community and specifically for residents of Fairhaven, providing opportunities for all ages to participate in a variety of arts and humanities areas.
Projects to be funded in 2017 include:
- NBAM/ArtWorks! Teen Arts Internship Program
- Symphony’s Learning in Concert program for East and Wood Elementary Schools
- Millicent Library’s Summer Reading Kick-Off Concert with Jackson Gillman
- Zeiterion Theater field trips for St. Joseph and East Fairhaven Schools
- New Bedford Ballet in-school programs for East and Wood Elementary Schools
- New Bedford Festival Theater’s production of “My Fair Lady”
- Transportation funding for Whaling Museum field trips for Fairhaven students
- Seaglass Opera’s “Amoré” Gala Concert
- Greater New Bedford Choral Society’s 2017 concert season.
Support for the Local Cultural Council (LCC) grant program is provided annually by the Massachusetts Cultural Council as well as from the town of Fairhaven. Funding allotted by the town of Fairhaven is earmarked to support events that promote tourism and attract visitors to our local businesses. In 2017, town funds will be supporting:
- Whitfield-Manjiro Friendship Society’s 2017 Manjiro Festival
- North Fairhaven Improvement Association’s Community Concert
- Roger Tinknell’s “From Ireland to America” at the Council on Aging
- Fairhaven Lions Club’s “Family Ties/Honoring Our Elderly” Community Event
- Fishing Heritage Center’s “Work & Culture in the Fishing Industry: Three Photography Exhibits”
Events and programs are offered at affordable or free ticket prices; many offer senior citizen discounts as well. Check back on this blog and visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/FairhavenCulturalCouncil throughout the year for updates on when these projects will be taking place and links to more information.
The council is always interested in new members. If you are a resident of Fairhaven and would like more information about joining the council, contact chairperson Abigail Hevey at firstname.lastname@example.org.